Sunday, January 10, 2010

Preacher and Hypocrite

Last week’s sermon invited us to look at the ill effects of double-mindedness as we make decisions in the New Year (from James1:5-11). Today (Sunday), I invite us to continue with James’ letter and consider the power of our words and a disciplined tongue (from James 3:3-10).

In both lessons I have to admit there is good reason to call the preacher a hypocrite. Those who know the guy expounding on these topics knows him to be one who is less than a master in either area. How true it is.

More often than not I gravitate to particular biblical lessons, not because I have surmounted the errors they deal with, but because they are lessons I am struggling with myself. The defense of many teachers trying to give lessons to other is, “Do as I say, not as a do.” That carries no weight if the teacher is not him/herself listening to the words. But if when gravitating to a lesson that needs to be taught to our co-workers, our children, our spouse, our grand-kids, we attune our hears to listen to the lesson and learn ourselves, we are bound to diminish the accusation of hypocrite so easily leveled against us.

I preach not because I have mastered the lessons of our Lord, but because I am working through these lessons myself. I just hope we all recognize that none of us has it all together, and that we need each other on this adventure of life if we are to make the most of it. After all, it was Solomon who reminded us, “As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.”( Proverbs 27:17)

See you in Church!

2 comments:

  1. It was a great message and one that I myself need to be reminded of. I just think back at hurtful things that have been said to me and how long they seem to linger in memory. I pray the hurtful things I have said to others will be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous,
    It made me so sad to read your comment, "I just think back at hurtful things that have been said to me and how long they seem to linger in memory"....Don't relinquish your positivity to the negative. Remember, St. Paul exhorted us to "think on Good Things." I believe this exhortation is a fundamental principle of happiness and empowerment to utilize our good gifts.

    ReplyDelete