Saturday, April 10, 2010

Study Leave Report: Experience In-house Marketing

Experience In-house Marketing
Many know that as your pastor I am constantly trying to figure out why there is such a low, low, low interest in non-worship spiritual building activities. When we have a church dinner, we all come out for the great fellowship, but when it comes to delving deeper into the bible, or taking time to join in a prayer group, the interest wanes dramatically.

I’m still looking for an answer as to what keep us from being part of these activities. Still,there is one thing I do know: there any things in our lives that beg for our attention, and despite our best intentions to be take part in the activities that deepen our walk with God, we are quickly distracted by all the other stuff we have to do.

What have I discovered today on my Study Leave that might help this? In-house marketing!

Simply put, what do we do that will remind us of the events of spiritual growth? We use the printed material for Sunday worship. The church I visited today used many opportunities to remind people what was happening. The front door had an announcement board right as you came in. Then, before you moved ten feet into the building, there was a welcome sign with a note to folks to check out the announcement board. At the coffee urn there were small cards with an upcoming event printed on it, and a note for people to bring a card to their friends. Even in the mens room (yes, right above the … excuse me … the urinal) there was a framed announcement board with the upcoming calendar. By the time you left the church, you had a pretty good idea of what was happening.

This is a good thought for advancing our next phase of ministry. Maybe we need more focus on in-house marketing that can remind us of spiritual opportunities around us. Any ideas? Does this interest you?

2 comments:

  1. I think it's a good idea to keep the congregation informed. But I don't think it will do much for bringing in and building new membership. I think some form of advertising, no matter how small is needed for growth, if that is what our focus is to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great truth. I was thinking here mostly about how we can improve participation and spiritual development among those already inside the door. I'm wondering if a better job with in-house marketing might have an affect.

    ReplyDelete